Pages

Welcome Message

Welcome to my sewing (and other stuff) blog!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sewing Library

Now that most of us have computers the need for good sewing books has diminished. I have a computer in my sewing room and I use it frequently to access specific sewing information, but there is no denying the value of sewing books.
  I have purchased books at estate sales, or tag sales and used book stores. These older books are very charming, and I have learned some valuable techniques from them.

1930

1949

1948                                      1943



1985
 Decorative Dressmaking by Sue Thompson is one of my favorite sewing books! It is packed with instructions for creating fashion details.

Why is this woman so happy?

Some of the photos are charmingly dated!

Ooooops, Fashion Faux Pas! ala 1985

But, there are numerous pages of  explanations on how to recreate details from era's past.




This book has given me many creative ideas over the years!





This Vogue Sewing Book is from 1980. It is very useful on those occasions when I can't remember how to cover a hook with thread.


Actually it has been a long time since I have felt compelled to cover a hook with thread, but should the occasion arise I will have directions right at hand! It also has many more practical instructions.

I frequently acquaint my students with  www.half.com  This is a web site that consistently has books that I am looking for at unbelievably low prices! It is a good place to start a search for sewing books.

For some of us happiness is a nice little sewing library!



1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful collection of sewing books you have Patty. I have to admit I also love sewing books and am building up a wonderful collection and refer to them regularly. Sometimes there's nothing better then making a pot of tea and sitting back and reading through them and picking up lots of great little tips and gaining lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete