Pages

Welcome Message

Welcome to my sewing (and other stuff) blog!

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Skirt Design

Here is a skirt I made for myself a few years ago. The fabric is a stable knit that I purchased from Emma One Sock. http://www.emmaonesock.com/
Despite the wonderful nubby texture of the fabric I felt that the skirt lacked "punch", so I played around with the  remaining fabric to create a loose panel on one hip. I used the front and back pattern piece to create a panel that covers the upper front and back of one side of the skirt. I played around with the horizontal stripes to cut the panel in a way that is interesting to the eye. 
 If you ever look at designer clothing in stores or in magazines you will notice that designers frequently have a unique little twist that sets their designs  apart. As sewists we can do the same thing by playing around with the design until we make it uniquely ours.
 I wear this skirt with a black turtleneck sweater and black boots. 





1 comment:

  1. Love it! What gorgeous fabric and love the extra panel on the side as it really does add an extra twist to it and gives it a designers touch :) Oh by the way I finished my high waisted pencil skirt and added boning to the waistband which was a first for me and it turned out great... I just shared it on my blog this morning. Now I'm about to embark on drafting a pencil skirt pattern for myself and was thinking maybe there's some kind of twist I could add to that to spice things up a little as well :)

    ReplyDelete