Pages

Welcome Message

Welcome to my sewing (and other stuff) blog!

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Wedding Gown ( Post 2 )

 On Friday I had a second  meeting with the bride. Prior to this meeting I ordered silk samples from Linda at Emma One Sock  http://www.emmaonesock.com/   I also digested the conversation from our first meeting, and thought about the bride's style and figure.
 When she arrived on Friday I took a complete set of measurements. I then showed her some sketches of a style that I thought would suit her. She had been forewarned that my fashion drawing abilities are limited, so she kindly didn't say "you want me to look like Little Bow Peep on my wedding day"!
 During this conversation we settled on a dress style that I think will be perfect for her. It will have an open neck, and long sleeves. Sort of like this....without the lace inset, and hopefully fitting better.....




 The gown will have princess seams as they provide for a figure skimming, flattering fit. The skirt will be a-line. The gown will be made out of white 4 ply silk, and will be lined with silk habotai.
 This will be a beautiful blank palette! The bride wants a dramatic feature incorporated into her gown. Because the time  for this project is abbreviated, I am going to start sewing the gown and we will jazz it up as we go. I may add a bias cowl to the neckline.  It would balance her figure, and be a nod to vintage gowns. I also suggested a godet with a slight sweep train in the back.

 The bride is traveling to San Fransisco and will have an opportunity to visit Britex. http://www.britexfabrics.com/ I visited the Holy Grail once myself, and I know that she will find a huge selection of tempting embellishments.
 Yesterday I began pattern work and went to the fabric store to replenish my supply of muslin. Today I woke up with a cold which means that I will not be able to go to my book club this afternoon. The unofficial name of our group is the No Guilt Book Club. I would have been welcome despite the fact that I didn't read this month's selection.

 Today I will put the muslin together. This virus is not so bad that I have to take to my bed. Making a muslin is fun. It is one of the few times when thread doesn't have to be the perfect color, and zipper installation can be a little slapdash!
 Tomorrow the bride returns and I can fit the muslin, and show her the silk samples that already arrived from Emma One Sock. I will try to only breathe in while doing the fitting!

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the sound of the style of the dress. I hope your cold doesn't get too bad and you get better quickly :)

    ReplyDelete